"The illusion is not the illusion of self but the illusion of no one."

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should have added a better description for this, Ryan; and warned people that it is an hour long.

From Wikipedia:

"Thomas Metzinger (born 12 March 1958) is a German philosopher.  As of 2011 he holds the position of director of the theoretical philosophy group at the department of philosophy at the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz.  He has been active since the early 1990s in the promotion of consciousness studies as an academic endeavor. As a co-founder, he has been particularly active in the organization of the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness (ASSC), and sat on the board of directors of that organization from 1995 to 2008. He served as president of the ASSC in 2009/10. Metzinger is director of the MIND group and has been president of the German cognitive science society from 2005 to 2007.

"In 2003 Metzinger published the monograph Being No One.  In this book he argues that no such things as selves exist in the world: nobody ever had or was a self.  All that exists are phenomenal selves, as they appear in conscious experience.  He argues that the phenomenal self, however, is not a thing but an ongoing process; it is the content of a "transparent self-model."

lol sorry about that. I was quite lazy in posting this (forgot what reason), but thanks for posting the wiki link. I didn't even look him up. Just watched the video.

RSS

Forum

Song Dedication Thread v2.0

Started by Kawaiijius in Fun & Games. Last reply by Vic 6 hours ago. 17 Replies

Here are all of my threads

Started by Dardan Zeqiri in Off-Topic. Last reply by Kawaiijius 15 hours ago. 1 Reply

What kind of tooth paste do you guys use?

Started by Dardan Zeqiri in Off-Topic. Last reply by The Shiznit yesterday. 4 Replies

Latest Activity

Vic replied to Kawaiijius's discussion Song Dedication Thread v2.0
"Joey: "
6 hours ago
Kawaiijius replied to Kawaiijius's discussion Song Dedication Thread v2.0
"For VLR: "
6 hours ago
Vic liked Dardan Zeqiri's discussion Here are all of my threads
14 hours ago
Kawaiijius replied to Dardan Zeqiri's discussion Here are all of my threads
15 hours ago
Dardan Zeqiri posted discussions
16 hours ago
The Shiznit replied to Dardan Zeqiri's discussion What kind of tooth paste do you guys use?
" "
yesterday
Dardan Zeqiri replied to Dardan Zeqiri's discussion What kind of tooth paste do you guys use?
"I'm flattered you thought I had ideas in the first place."
yesterday
Captain Sebulba Jonson replied to Dardan Zeqiri's discussion What kind of tooth paste do you guys use?
"I personally like using liquid mercury. It keeps my teeth strong and healthy. This way, I can better establish my dominance amongst the canine moon-police of our galaxy."
yesterday
Captain Sebulba Jonson commented on RIMILITIA's photo
yesterday
Vic replied to Dardan Zeqiri's discussion What kind of tooth paste do you guys use?
"I like my Colgate Total Advanced Fresh Gel. Are you running out of ideas already? It's 30 days..."
yesterday
Vic liked Dardan Zeqiri's discussion What kind of tooth paste do you guys use?
yesterday
Vic replied to Kawaiijius's discussion Song Dedication Thread v2.0
"Paul: "
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Reese Leysen.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service