"The illusion is not the illusion of self but the illusion of no one."

Views: 313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should have added a better description for this, Ryan; and warned people that it is an hour long.

From Wikipedia:

"Thomas Metzinger (born 12 March 1958) is a German philosopher.  As of 2011 he holds the position of director of the theoretical philosophy group at the department of philosophy at the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz.  He has been active since the early 1990s in the promotion of consciousness studies as an academic endeavor. As a co-founder, he has been particularly active in the organization of the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness (ASSC), and sat on the board of directors of that organization from 1995 to 2008. He served as president of the ASSC in 2009/10. Metzinger is director of the MIND group and has been president of the German cognitive science society from 2005 to 2007.

"In 2003 Metzinger published the monograph Being No One.  In this book he argues that no such things as selves exist in the world: nobody ever had or was a self.  All that exists are phenomenal selves, as they appear in conscious experience.  He argues that the phenomenal self, however, is not a thing but an ongoing process; it is the content of a "transparent self-model."

lol sorry about that. I was quite lazy in posting this (forgot what reason), but thanks for posting the wiki link. I didn't even look him up. Just watched the video.

RSS

Latest Activity

Sakshi Rathi liked Jakob's discussion Challenging Beliefs
7 hours ago
Captain Sebulba Jonson posted a status
9 hours ago
Sakshi Rathi joined Lore's group
Thumbnail

I-Power Game of Thrones Addicts

For everyone consumed by GoTSee More
13 hours ago
Sakshi Rathi joined Munky's group
Thumbnail

House M.D.

A place to discuss and appreciate HOUSE, talk about possible events in the up-coming season, post your favourite House moments.Just remember... "It's never lupus."See More
14 hours ago
Sakshi Rathi replied to Jakob's discussion Challenging Beliefs
"I am mostly confused about what I believe in. My family believes in various gods and I was often as a kid forced to be part of it, given my disinterest I used to think I was an atheist but still when I am in some troublesome situation I find myself…"
14 hours ago
Sakshi Rathi updated their profile
14 hours ago
Captain Sebulba Jonson commented on Captain Sebulba Jonson's photo
Thumbnail

political compass

"You, of all people, should know that I am above labels, a loyal Athenist. "
yesterday
Clark Kant commented on Captain Sebulba Jonson's photo
Thumbnail

political compass

"There was one guy missing."
yesterday
Captain Sebulba Jonson posted a photo

political compass

gg. where do you stand?
Tuesday
Profile IconJohn James Boxshall and Marjan Bonev joined I Power
Tuesday
The Shiznit replied to Fionn T's discussion What's your character flaw? What do you intend to do about it?
"Posting not so much for the learning aspects, but because the vid makes some good points about failing.  ;) "
Tuesday
Clark Kant replied to Clark Kant's discussion RIMILITIA'S COMEBACK [RAW]
"Joey plays his character, Molly is a computer voice generator. I do the rest of the voices."
Sunday

© 2014   Created by Reese Leysen.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service