To quote TIME's Techland editor:  

"Can you imagine a world without Google or Facebook? If plans to protest the potential passing of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) come to fruition, you won’t need to; those sites, along with many other well-known online destinations, will go temporarily offline as a taste of what we could expect from a post-SOPA Internet.

"Companies including Google, Facebook, Twitter, PayPal, Yahoo! and Wikipedia are said to be discussing a coordinated blackout of services to demonstrate the potential effect SOPA would have on the Internet, something already being called a “nuclear option” of protesting."

This could be a response to the suggestion that Anonymous made a couple of weeks ago. 

http://techland.time.com/2011/12/21/anonymous-blacks-out-the-intern...

And while I personally see SOPA as a real threat, and Cenk Uygur evidently does not, I still liked his spin in this recent Young Turks clip about how politicians here in the U.S. operate:

Source:

http://techland.time.com/2012/01/05/sopa-what-if-google-facebook-an...

and you can find tons of other news articles about this by searching Google News:

Search Google News - keywords: SOPA, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon

or wait ... maybe you won't be able to soon!  :-)

My previous thread on SOPA:  

If SOPA is on Hold then WTF is This Shit?

Tags: Blackout, Facebook, Google, Internet, Nuclear, Option, SOPA, Twitter

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad about this, it looks like people are still reflecting about what happends on the political platform. Altough I'm not a citizen of the US I'm verry glad with this evolution because it would have effect the whole world like everybody knows here.

Congratz fot the E-generation with all their protests and spreding of the effects SOPA could have caused. It wasn't that obvious to inform the regular internet user because a lot of people didn't even knew about it (speaking for my friends who live in Belgium so not for people who live in the US.)

Now let's hope we will succeed to break down all the new attempts that politics will try to make to take over the internet!

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHTS

Thanks to everybody!

RSS

Forum

KELSEY VS MOLLY [SMACKDOWN]

Started by Clark Kant in Fun & Games. Last reply by Clark Kant on Thursday. 5 Replies

Song Dedication Thread v2.0

Started by Clark Kant in Fun & Games. Last reply by Captain Sebulba Jonson on Thursday. 28 Replies

Hi Ipower, Hi

Started by Vic in Introductions. Last reply by RIMILITIA on Thursday. 20 Replies

Latest Activity

Clark Kant commented on The Shiznit's photo
Thumbnail

Everybody <3 's The Shiznit

"Athenism Chat | 30 online 30 online 30"
11 hours ago
Captain Sebulba Jonson liked The Shiznit's photo
12 hours ago
Ross Holder left a comment for Xandra Black
"Did the right thing by who? Sometimes you have to look after numero uno. I closed my Facebook account because it felt like I was talking to myself most of the time, and I found that it was central to a very bad case of avoidance behaviour in respect…"
14 hours ago
RIMILITIA commented on RIMILITIA's album
Thumbnail

The Hat of Choice in Spain

"I Wear this Hat! "
21 hours ago
RIMILITIA commented on RIMILITIA's album
21 hours ago
Xandra Black left a comment for Ross Holder
"i dunno if i did the right thing... have rage quit it all... (facepalm) glad you are still breathing~xx"
yesterday
Ross Holder left a comment for Xandra Black
"Hi there! I see you have left AWAS. Maybe you are destined for greater things than minding the children, children are still children whether they are on the spectrum or not... take care mate! Rosco"
yesterday
RIMILITIA left a comment for Fromzon
"Welcome To I-Power Fromzon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
yesterday
RIMILITIA left a comment for Fromzon
yesterday
Captain Sebulba Jonson left a comment for jonas
yesterday
Fromzon commented on The Shiznit's video
Thumbnail

Alan Watts on Socially Responsible Automation and an Unconditional Basic Income Guarantee

"thx for posting this, this is what i've been talking about for years already, always fun to finally randomly find confirmation on the internet, confirmation of the fact there are other, way brighter people than me, saying the exact same thing"
Friday
Fromzon liked The Shiznit's video
Friday

© 2014   Created by Reese Leysen.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service