To quote TIME's Techland editor:  

"Can you imagine a world without Google or Facebook? If plans to protest the potential passing of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) come to fruition, you won’t need to; those sites, along with many other well-known online destinations, will go temporarily offline as a taste of what we could expect from a post-SOPA Internet.

"Companies including Google, Facebook, Twitter, PayPal, Yahoo! and Wikipedia are said to be discussing a coordinated blackout of services to demonstrate the potential effect SOPA would have on the Internet, something already being called a “nuclear option” of protesting."

This could be a response to the suggestion that Anonymous made a couple of weeks ago. 

http://techland.time.com/2011/12/21/anonymous-blacks-out-the-intern...

And while I personally see SOPA as a real threat, and Cenk Uygur evidently does not, I still liked his spin in this recent Young Turks clip about how politicians here in the U.S. operate:

Source:

http://techland.time.com/2012/01/05/sopa-what-if-google-facebook-an...

and you can find tons of other news articles about this by searching Google News:

Search Google News - keywords: SOPA, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon

or wait ... maybe you won't be able to soon!  :-)

My previous thread on SOPA:  

If SOPA is on Hold then WTF is This Shit?

Tags: Blackout, Facebook, Google, Internet, Nuclear, Option, SOPA, Twitter

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad about this, it looks like people are still reflecting about what happends on the political platform. Altough I'm not a citizen of the US I'm verry glad with this evolution because it would have effect the whole world like everybody knows here.

Congratz fot the E-generation with all their protests and spreding of the effects SOPA could have caused. It wasn't that obvious to inform the regular internet user because a lot of people didn't even knew about it (speaking for my friends who live in Belgium so not for people who live in the US.)

Now let's hope we will succeed to break down all the new attempts that politics will try to make to take over the internet!

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHTS

Thanks to everybody!

RSS

Forum

Hello, again.

Started by Altra in Introductions. Last reply by Captain Sebulba Jonson 41 minutes ago. 2 Replies

Song Dedication Thread v2.0

Started by Kawaiijius in Fun & Games. Last reply by pauL 17 hours ago. 18 Replies

Latest Activity

Captain Sebulba Jonson replied to Altra's discussion Hello, again.
"Welcome back, Jacob. I remember you from times when man was not obsessed by his deterministic notion of time.  It is not coincidental that the first world trivialities of a procrastinating young English teen like Conor would need the diagnosis…"
40 minutes ago
pauL replied to Kawaiijius's discussion Song Dedication Thread v2.0
"for vic arrrrruuuuuuuuuuu <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NAZTzaQ-sSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>"
17 hours ago
RIMILITIA and KitKat are now friends
yesterday
Vic left a comment for KitKat
"Welcome to ipower, KitKat. :)"
yesterday
RIMILITIA left a comment for KitKat
"Greetings and Welcome to I-Power KitKat"
yesterday
KitKat is now a member of I Power
yesterday
Altra replied to Lore's discussion What motivates you to act?
"As far as self motivation goes: I feel like I've lost sight of something I had several years ago, and there are days where the only thing that motivates me to do anything is that I know I'll feel like garbage if I do nothing. So I act, and…"
yesterday
Kawaiijius replied to Altra's discussion Hello, again.
"Welcome to Ipower. This is kind of a haunted place, but you can get to know some cool people if you survive the ghosts and the collapsing ceilings etc. Feel free to post some of the stuff you write."
yesterday
Altra liked Jesse C's blog post Reading books
yesterday
Altra posted a discussion

Hello, again.

I've had an account on here for years, but I haven't been active aside from a brief stint in 2010. I know I probably don't know any of the faces on here, and am assuming none of you will know mine - so this is a reintroduction.I'm Jacob. I'm 23. I…See More
yesterday
Altra updated their profile
yesterday
Kawaiijius replied to Vic's discussion 30 DAY CHALLENGE! (Running)
"I demand an update. Don't let your fans down Vic."
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Reese Leysen.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service