This question might be hard to find an answer to, so i made a checklist, and did a thorough (it's a bit of a stretch of the word) analysis of my environment, and the state. I did this to see, if the people that's been making the laws, can be said to be true representations of the people.
- Does the taxation law reflect the average Lars (since this is Norway, i'll swap Joe with Lars)? Check. It's ok to put taxation on income, but stay away from my property. Rich people like to complain that they're paying so much taxes, but the richest people in Norway (according to occupy, US and A is no stranger to this either) pay very little taxes. Because taxes on property is much lower than taxes on wages.
- How about religion? Double check. We are a christian country, we just hate having to go to churches. But we still use lots of tax money to fund the maintenance of these churches. And on foreign religions? we do like to say we have freedom of religion, we're just... slow to adapt that in practical politics. Someone want's to build a mosque? Let's see how many excuses to not allow that, we'll start with building codes, then move on to economics, then finish it off with the threat of islamization.
- How about openness? Oh yes. We're very open, there's tons of useful information about the activities of the government. It just takes a lot of time, and the language is difficult, and i was about to look at it, but then there was this thing. Are we keeping secrets? Only when it's about a threat to national security, or stability, or public reputation etc. It's not like it's anyone's business that i like to purchase sex from prostitutes while claiming it should be illegal. Just like it's nobody's business if i support the people of Palestine, while at the same time, weapons i manufactured finds it's way into Israeli hands.
- Are the lawmakers proud? check. Quick to boast about success, slow to admit, or even to reflect, upon faults by themselves. This behavior is very like our average Lars. Especially when it comes to the Bergensis Erectus (the people of Bergen), they really love to knock themselves on the chest.
- Are they educated? check check check. They know everything that they are legally required to know about their j***. As if anyone's going to study more than they have to, lol. And if i read the newspaper? i'll stick to the headlines, and the text that's bigger than the rest. Preferably i'll get all reports as summary's.
As a conclusion; we do seem to have a representational democracy here, for good and evil. This text wasn't very serious, but i do hope i illustrated at least one point. That many of the faults in our politicians and bureaucrats, are the same one's we have (as the average Lars). And that we shouldn't be surprised when they turn out to be lying, dumb, lazy, biased, egotistical, proud, close-minded, raging...